Search bar

Thursday, January 11, 2018

CAN WORKING STUDENTS SURVIVE LAW SCHOOL?

To answer the question right of the bat, OF COURSE THEY CAN!

This is my tribute to all working students who toiled their way in surviving law school while also going to the usual "8-5pm" work routine. I have my utmost respect to you guys! Kudos!

I am fortunate to have a supportive Mom who pays for my tuition fees in Law School, gives me my weekly allowance and all of my daily needs and wants. (Thanks Ma, you're the best!)

There were times that I realized that I am privileged to able to enroll in Law School without ever spending a single centavo out of my own pocket. That my only job is to study hard so that all the hardwork of my mother in paying for all my law school expenses will be all worth it.

Allow me to share my story when I became a "legitimate" working student for the first time.

Last June 27, 2016, I had my first experience being a "legitimate employee".  It was my first time to sign up for membership for PhilHealth, SSS and Pag-ibig. Moreover, it was also my first time to sign an employment contract with contract stipulations regarding probationary status, regularization, leaves among others; my previous work experiences were only mostly project-based, only good for 2-3 months.

Being a working student is new to me, so when the readers of my blog would ask if a working student can survive law school, I would tell a story about my friends and acquaintances who are living testament that a working student could thrive and survive Law School. Before, I don't have a personal knowledge regarding the matter. However, that all changed.

As I only have 7 subjects left in order to graduate in Law School, I decided to look for a job.

I applied in a law firm in Makati named Marisol Caneja and Associates Law Office. The firm specializes in corporate law. All of its clients are foreign companies which were established in Malaysia and Singapore. Those companies would like to expand their operations here in the Philippines and avail of the benefits of being a registered enterprise in the Philippine Economic Zone (PEZA)

Fortunately, there was a vacancy in the Firm and it doesn't hurt that the owner of the Law Office is an alumna of my Law School Organization in San Beda. In short, I was hired.

PREPARING FOR CLASS RECITATIONS AND EXAMS

Two of the common struggles of a working student is how to prepare for the daily class recitations and how to study during examination week.

The first few months were tough because I am not used to going to office at 9 am and I have barely enough time to prepare for the class recitations. Luckily, my boss, Atty. Marisol Caneja, is kind enough to allows the working students to leave the office 3 hours before our scheduled class to have time to travel to school and prepare for class.

The travel to Alabang from Makati is not that hard because of the Point-to-point (P2P) Bus Service from Greenbelt 1 to Alabang Town Center. My travel time from Makati to San Beda Alabang takes about 30-45 minutes.

The arrangement in the office is so favorable to working students like me. I am fortunate that the firm measures the performance of their employees through the quality of their output. The philosophy of our boss is that what's the use of an employee who goes to work from 9am to 6pm if his work output is poor.

I have friends who work in call centers; they go straight to work after attending classes. I admire them because they only take short naps to catch up the necessary sleeping hours. They study for about 30-40 minutes in the Library and they take a short nap afterwards.

Those short naps will be shorten or even negated when there is Examination week. I have friends who only had 1 hour of sleep just to try to finish all their backlogs. They don't take work leaves because they only have at least 5 of those every year.

Here again lies a big difference from my employer to the other employers; our Boss is kind enough for us to take work leaves for the entire week for us to have enough time to prepare for the exams. The best thing is those leaves are not charged to our 5 work leaves allotted to us every year.

Maybe I am not the best person to share how working students can excel in Law school despite their busy schedules but I would like to share the Valedictory Speech of Carlos Hernandez from UP College of Law.

He works from 7 am to 4 pm and reads his reading assignments inside the MRT, Jeepney and other public commute (That's what you call dedication!) He is truly an inspiration; his speech also shares the experiences of his friends and blockmates in Law School who were also working students.

Another prominent working Law Student is Kenneth Manuel, the one behind the famous "Your Lawyer Says" Account in Social Media. He is a Certified Public Accountant and has a day job at the same time is enrolled as a full-time student in UST Faculty of Civil Law. Being a working student did not deter him from excelling in class as he is a consistent Dean's Lister in Law.

He once posted using the Your Lawyer Says that studying in Law School would be more fun if it is without the financial pressure. He added that the students whose tuition fees are paid by their parents are lucky and privileged.

Those are a few of the success stories in Law school regarding working students who survived Law School. I am sure you there are a lot of them in Law school. Law students who came from different walks in life but united by the same dream and that is to become a lawyer.

So if you are planning to enroll in law school but is thinking twice on whether you can manage to work and study at the same, the answer is, YES.

YES YOU CAN.






20 comments:

  1. Is it a good idea to invest in a tablet? I mean, magagamit mo ba talaga sya? I've heard na some professors prohibit the use of gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Yes! Assuming that your professors won’t allow it inside the classroom, the tablet can still aid your studies in preparation for your classes.

      You can use the tablet in the library, coffee shops or even at home when you study.

      If you use the tablet for academic purposes, it will be a great help.


      Delete
  2. I am currently working and looking into going to law school. Would you be able to advise which school is the most affordable and can accommodate weekend classes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I think University of Manila is offering executive classes and the tuition fee is not as high compared to other law schools in Metro Manila.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm planning to go into law school next year, I'm working thursday to saturday as a resident doctor, meron po kayang law school na nag offer ng ibang days for working student na hindi on weekends? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I would like to ask for an advice. Im a working student. Il be starting my freshman year come this July 29, 2019. Intro to Law was compressed for 5 days from 5pm to 9pm. They gave out the cases to be discussed. But, the downside is I've only read 5 out of 50 for 10hrs. What should I do, I think I cant finish reading all the cases, I mean it's impossible. I really need someone's advice now. �� Thanks in advance. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are doing well and still in Law School.

      First Year in Law school has a steep learning curve.

      Preparing for each subject depends on the style of your professor.

      If your professor asks cases on a regular basis, focus on reading the cases. Full cases if you have time. You may read digests from time to time to give you a "security blanket" that you read more.

      If your professor asks more on codal provisions or the annotation, first read and understand the codal provisions. If you don't understand it, read the annotations from your preferred law book. Then read the cases afterwards. If your professor has this teaching style, reading the case digests will help you through your recitation day.

      It is impossible to read all cases. There is a simple hack, reading the case syllabus which is usually found in the beginning of the SCRA (often referred to "Same Same"); that is the summary of the doctrine found in the cases per subject, i.e it has issues in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law, Remedial Law.

      Good luck and Stay Safe!

      Delete
  7. Hi Admin! Requesting permission to post.

    Thank you sharing these very inspiring insights.

    I am a seafarer who dreams to finish law school and be a lawyer if will be.

    However, can I do study law school part time with this scenario: work back overseas to save for tuition needs then after my end of contract overseas, enroll a semester for law school, then after completion of a semester, go back overseas again to work, and vice-versa, until I can finish law school?

    Can this staggered work-study load be allowed in a particular law school in our country?

    If yes, where in our country, PH?

    Will the tuition fees be affordable?

    Thank you in advance for your genuine advices.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I also have relatives who are seafarers.

      Hope you are doing well.

      To answer your question, there are Law schools that can accommodate your preferred arrangement, I know a Law school which could give you Law Degree with minimal effort (hahaha)

      But if you're serious to have a degree, I recommend Arellano University School of Law.

      They offer Executive Classes which has weekend classes. The school offers all subjects per semester so it will be easier for students to catch-up.

      I think you should write the Dean of your plans of studying one semester per year, I am sure they'll give you alternatives on how to finish your degree. Most Law schools do not have a maximum residency requirement (Meaning you could finish your law degree even after more than 8 year in school or even more!)

      As for the fees, the tuition fee in Arellano is at least 55k for full units (18 to 23 units).

      Good luck! Sorry for answering your question super late! haha

      Delete
  8. Ano po kaya mga law school na nag-oofer ng weekend or night class malapit sa pasig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I advise you try Jose Rizal University in Mandaluyong or University of Asia and the Pacific (UA&P) in Ortigas.

      Makati City has a lot of law schools, Lyceum, CEU and University of Makati which are relatively near Pasig.

      Delete
  9. Hi I’m planning to go to law school next year. Ano po kayang law school ang may weekend classes? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Thanks for writing in.

      I only know Arellano University in Pasay City, offering Weekend Classes or what they call Executive Classes.

      There are some provincial Law schools in Batangas and Cebu offering Executive Classes.

      My advise is to call your preferred law school or contact them via e-mail to inquire if they offer Executive Classes.

      Stay Safe!

      Delete
  10. what type of work do law students usually do / which job positions are they usually qualified for?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm an aspiring lawyer. And I will eventually go to law school. I was more inspired after reading your blog.I can see how challenging it is to study in law school, especially while working. But I'm wondering, what are the most suggested pre-law courses?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, good day. Any tips to motivate other people on taking their law degree? anong school usually pinupuntahan ng working students? and can you recommend an interesting book to read before entering law school? Thank you in advance

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you're considering law school, you've probably heard a lot about the LSAT. Here's what you need to know about the test, from what it covers to how to prepare.

    Please visit our website for more information about using Law and Justice.

    ReplyDelete